My First 3 Weeks of Professional Rust - by Wesley Moore

My First 3 Weeks of Professional Rust

Published on

For the last 15 years as a professional programmer I have worked mostly with dynamic languages. First Perl, then Python, and for the last 10 years or so, Ruby. I’ve also been writing Rust on the side for personal projects for nearly four years. Recently I started a new job and for the first time I’m writing Rust professionally. Rust represents quite a shift in language features, development process and tooling. I thought it would be interesting to reflect on that experience so far.

Note that some of my observations are not unique to Rust and would be equally present in other languages like Haskell, Kotlin, or OCaml.


In my first week I hit up pretty hard against my knowledge of lifetimes in Rust. I was reasonably confident with them conceptually and their simple application but our code has some interesting type driven zero-copy parsing code that tested my knowledge. When encountering some compiler errors I was fortunate to have experienced colleagues to ask for help. It’s been nice to extend my knowledge and learn as I go.

Interestingly I had mostly been building things without advanced lifetime knowledge up until this point. I think that sometimes the community puts too much emphasis on some of Rust’s more advanced features when citing its learning curve. If you read the book you can get a very long way. Although that will depend on the types of applications or data structures you’re trying to build.


In my second week I implemented a change to make a certain pattern more ergonomic. It was refreshing to be able to build the initial functionality and then make a project-wide change, confident that given it compiled after the change I probably hadn’t broken anything. I don’t think I would have had the confidence to make such a change as early on in the Ruby projects I’ve worked on previously.


I cringe whenever I see proponents of statically typed languages say things like, “if it compiles, it works”, with misguided certainty. The compiler and language do eliminate whole classes of bugs that you’d need to test for in a dynamic language but that doesn’t mean tests aren’t needed.

Rust has great built in support for testing and I’ve enjoyed being able to write tests focussed solely on the behaviour and logic of my code. Compared to Ruby where I have to write tests that ensure there are no syntax errors, nil is handled safely, arguments are correct, in addition to the behaviour and logic.

Editor and Tooling

Neovim is my primary text editor. I’ve been using vim or a derivative since the early 2000s. I have the RLS set up and working in my Neovim environment but less than a week in I started using IntelliJ IDEA with the Rust and Vim emulation plugins for work. A week after that I started trialling CLion as I wanted a debugger.

JetBrains CLion IDE
JetBrains CLion IDE

The impetus for the switch was that I was working with a colleague on a change that had a fairly wide impact on the code. We were practicing compiler driven development and were doing a repeated cycle of fix an error, compile, jump to next top most error. Vim’s quickfix list + :make is designed to make this cycle easier too but I didn’t have that set up at the time. I was doing a lot of manual jumping between files, whereas in IntelliJ I could just click the paths in the error messages.

It’s perhaps the combination of working on a foreign codebase and also trying to maximise efficiency when working with others that pushed me to seek out better tooling for work use. There is ongoing to work to improve the RLS so I may still come back to Neovim and I continue to use it for personal projects.

Other CLion features that I’m enjoying:

VS Code offers some of these features too. However, since they are built on the RLS they suffer many of the same issues I had in Neovim. Additionally I think the Vim emulation plugin for IntelliJ is more complete, or at least more predictable for a long time vim user. This is despite the latter actually using Neovim under the covers.


In Ruby with a gem like pry-byebug it’s trivial to put a binding.pry in some code to be dropped into a debugger + REPL at that point in the code. This is harder with Rust. println! or dbg! based debugging can get you a surprisingly long way and had served me well for most of my personal projects.

When building some parsing code I quickly felt the need to use a real debugger in order to step through and examine execution of a failing test. It’s possible to do this on the command line with the rust-gdb or rust-lldb wrappers that come with Rust. However, I find them fiddly to use and verbose to operate.

CLion makes it simple to add and remove break points by clicking in the gutter, run a single test under the debugger, visually step through the code, see all local variables, step up and down the call stack, etc. These are possible with the command line tools (which CLIon is using behind the scenes), but it’s nice to have them built in and available with a single click of the mouse.


So far I am enjoying my new role. There have been some great learning opportunities and surprising tooling changes. I’m also keen to keep an eye on the frequency of bugs encountered in production, their type (such as panic or incorrect logic), their source, and ease of resolution. I look forward to writing more about our work in the future.

Discuss on Lobsters

Previous Post: A Coding Retreat and Getting Embedded Rust Running on a SensorTag
Next Post: Cross Compiling Rust for FreeBSD With Docker

Comment icon Stay in touch!

Follow me on Twitter or Mastodon, subscribe to the feed, or send me an email.